Property Taxes

Every owner occupant with income below $500,000 is eligible for the residential STAR exemption, which provides tax relief from school taxes. Submit the STAR form to your local tax assessor. For a copy of the form, visit tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star/index.htm.

For information about protesting your property assessment, visit tax.ny.gov/pit/property/contest/contestasmt.htm.

Homeowners Insurance

For good information about property insurance, visit the NYS Department of Financial Services, dfs.ny.gov/consumer/homeown.htm.

If you are having trouble obtaining insurance, you can obtain limited coverage from the New York Property Insurance Underwriting Association, nypiua.com.

Flood insurance is not typically covered in your standard homeowner’s policy. A separate policy is issued through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Visit floodsmart.gov.